Friday, December 21, 2007

#8 RSS

I have been using RSS to read the news at home for a while from my google homepage and I have found it to be very convenient. It's nice to have all the headlines right in front of you and then you can choose which ones you need to read. It's also interesting to see all the different topics of RSS feeds are out there. I subscribed to the New Urban Legends feed so I could keep up with all the new email hoaxes that are popping up every day.

I like the setup of my google homepage better than bloglines however. I felt pretty overloaded with information with bloglines. On your personal google homepage, you can limit how many headlines from different sites can be displayed, and you can arrange it into tabs. Perhaps I didn't fully explore bloglines enough.

I remember hearing that the library is already using RSS to give customers the option of being notified when new books on selected topics are added to the catalog. I think that it would be very useful for customers if they could be notified whenever the newest book by their favorite author became available or requestable.

No comments: