Sunday, December 23, 2007

#21 Podcasts

I tried a few of the podcast directory and I liked using podcast alley the best. It seemed to find a great variety of podcasts that sounded interesting to me. It was easy to subscribe and listen through my bloglines account. However, I have been using Zencast Organizer for a couple of years and I think I'm going to stick with that because it's easy to load them quickly onto my mp3 player from there.

My favorite podcasts are the World Today Select headlines from the BBC, the NY Times Front Page, and the SirsiDynix Institute podcasts. I would recommend the SirsiDynix Institute podcasts to any librarian who is interested in Library 2.0 or who saw the presentation by Stephen Abrams that we had at Central a while back. The podcast is not updated that frequently, once a month or less, but the topics are really interesting (second life, gaming, podcasting, etc.)

I like getting the news by podcast also, but my problem with podcasts is that one only has so much time to devote to listening to things. If I listened to every podcast that struck my fancy, I would do nothing else, so I prefer blogs and other print sources in that respect. They're easier to scan to see if you really want to spend time reading it.

No comments: