Sunday, December 23, 2007

#16 Wiki me this

I thought that the Book Lovers Wiki was a nice idea for their summer reading club. Maybe we could use something like that for our summer reading program. We already have the teens and kids write reviews of their books and put them online, but I think that there are too many steps for a lot of the teens I worked with to really want to be involved. I think they need that visual connection between the review they are writing and where it will appear online. But of course it is problematic because we would have to incorporate the librarians approving the reviews somehow.

I had mixed views about the SJCPL Subject Guides. I thought that it was an improvement over the way that most libraries do this, because it would be easier for all library staff to add websites and create content. But I still don't know how much it would be used by customers. Most of the customers I meet pretty much believe they can and should be able to find everything from google, and don't really understand why I tell them to try a different site.

I am a fan of the Library Success Wiki. I've used it before and I think it is a nice alternative to listservs for getting advice from lots of other librarians.

As far as implementing wikis into libraries, I think that maybe our own QL Chat could also work as a wiki. Right now I get kind of lost trying to keep up with all the posts. Maybe having it as a wiki would make it easier to navigate? Like the Library Success Wiki? Just a thought.

No comments: