Sunday, December 23, 2007

#15 Library 2.0 and Web 2.0

The selection of readings about Library 2.0 was interesting but also confusing. As the Annoyed Librarian and the Cool Librarian point out, there are some librarians who are very Library 2.0 happy and have a deprecating attitude towards librarians who are doubtful. It seems to me that there are a lot of librarians who are really discouraged that librarianship doesn't seem to be changing fast enough to keep up with the way people gather their information. And we compensate by hyping Library 2.0 as the wave of the future or something. So I'm a little confused about the whole debate and I'm not exactly sure where I stand personally.

I was impressed by Michael Stevens' statement about the 2.o librarian: "This librarian understands that the future of libraries will be guided by how users access, consume and create content." I like the concept of "content" and I think that librarians should really incorporate it into the way we think. So much of the time when a customer needs a piece of information they ask us "where are your books on..." and sometimes I find myself thinking after they leave that it would have been so much easier for them to use an online resource. For example I think it is hands down always easier to access journal articles electronically than in print. I think it would be good for us to get more in the habit of thinking of all possible ways to answer a question. That is easier said than done of course.

In Away from the "icebergs" I agreed with the author's assertion that patrons expect to find everything at the library. For example a customer was very shocked one day that I couldn't snap my fingers and give the financial records for a certain nonprofit organization. Library 2.0 does seem like it is quick to provide answers, you just have to know how to navigate it and to judge its authority.

I laughed a lot at the post by the Annoyed Librarian. It was very cynical but I liked it because I think it put a little bit of perspective on the whole Library 2.0 issue. To me, Library 2.o is exciting and I'm happy to be learning about it. I think there is a lot of potential to implement it into the way we do things, but we should be careful to design tools that will actually help the people we are trying to reach and not just do it because it's new or fun.


No comments: